Quiche



                                                    

                     Ham, Mushroom & Spinach Quiche                                              
I love quiche! Quiche was always a special treat growing up! It seemed to be a go-to breakfast food whenever we had company over. It is so quick and easy to make, but it tastes like you slaved away in the kitchen for hours! And the great thing about it is that it is customize-able to the tastes and likings of your guests.
For example, you could do half the quiche with the spinach, and half without. Or you could throw in other ingredients, use different cheeses, etc. Your imagination, and the size of the crust is your limit!
Quiche
(Make recipe twice for 2 pies)
9” deep dish unbaked pie shell
2 pieces of Swiss cheese (7×4 inches)
½ cup chopped spinach
½ cup sliced mushrooms
1 cans tender chunk ham (or deli ham slices)
3 eggs (beaten)
1 cup half & half
2 teaspoon flour
½ teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or more)
Place the Swiss cheese flat on the bottom of the pie crust.  Layer with spinach, mushrooms and meat (If using canned ham-drain and separate the meat into little chunks and layer; if using deli ham, shred into little pieces and layer).  Mix next 4 ingredients in a bowl, whisking thoroughly until smooth (no lumps).  Pour into pie shell.  Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.  Bake at 350 degrees F for 40-45 minutes.
As the recipe says, you can double it and make two at the same time. This is what I do since the pie crust comes in two and the half and half comes in 2 cups, and I just love it! :) It is important to place a pan underneath the two crusts as sometimes it can bubble up and over the edge while baking. This actually happened when I made it this time, so I was glad I had the pan there saving me from a mess in my oven!

Two 9″ pre-made unbaked frozen pie crusts. I use the Walmart Great Value brand.

Layer the bottom with cheese.
You can use provolone, baby swiss, swiss, etc. here. I know all of those taste great since I have used them at some point. I used baby swiss cheese this time, since that’s what I had.




Layer it on the bottom, like so. It helps to keep the bottom crust from getting soggy.
Now you layer in the spinach. I use frozen, and its okay if its still frozen when you put it in the quiche, just make sure there aren’t big clumps of it-if so, break it up into smaller pieces and spread evenly.

Add bits of frozen spinach.


The next layer is mushrooms (if you like them, if not-layer with something else, or double meat, etc.) A neat trick for quickly slicing mushrooms is to use an egg slicer to quickly slice them into pieces. (I have found with fresh mushrooms it is best to wash them right after I buy them and then slice them and store them in a bowl or Ziploc in the fridge. This makes them much more convenient to use for making eggs, salads, etc. Mushrooms are a great source of Vitamin D.



Trick for cutting up mushrooms (use an egg slicer).


Spread the pieces over the spinach layer.



Tear up some deli ham or use canned ham for the next layer.


Set those aside for a moment and …



Crack 3 eggs into a medium bowl.



Beat the eggs.



Add 1 cup of half & half and mix. Then add the 2 teaspoons of flour & whisk thoroughly until smooth (eliminate any flour clumps).    



Pour over the layers in 1 crust and repeat the steps for the liquid in the other crust.



Layer with cheese, a thin layer just to finely cover the top. (And yep, I know this picture is kind of fuzzy, I accidentally deleted the good one instead-I call it “Cheese Mayhem” :) )
You can use any cheese you have in your fridge here (I typically use Colby Jack) I also had a bunch of cheddar cheese that I used this time.
Carefully put in the oven and bake at 350 degrees F for 40-45 minutes, turning the pan after 20 minutes to brown evenly. Test with a toothpick or knife to check for doneness. Let stand to set before serving. Tastes great reheated as well.
Baking perfection!
Total Weight Watchers points for 1 Whole Quiche=53 WW Points/8 slices=6.6, so you round up.
7 WW points per serving (1/8 of the Quiche)








No comments:

Post a Comment